Saturday, July 20, 2013

Rehab Of Heel And Ribs Almost Complete

Many of you know already that I have had some forced time off from running. For those of you who are not aware of how I got to this point see: ( Struggling With Downtime )

Today I cycled for the first time in 7 weeks. I have not run yet and will not try until I am given the go ahead by my physical therapist (PT), next Thursday. He said he would give me a protocol at that time which would probably involve only walking and cycling to begin with. In fact, I was not given the go ahead to cycle as of yet but I just could not resist the opportunity to try and see how the heel would respond. So far the heel seems fine and cycling, while bothersome, never did inflame it as much as running. I usually only noticed a problem hours to a day afterward. It has been 4 hours and so far no noticeable problem. The ribs are pretty much completely healed, as I do not notice any soreness unless I do some sort of extreme movement or pressure in the wrong place. Cycling was no problem for the ribs ( See: Trail Run,Fall, Broken Ribs, Oh My) at all, and I am sure running would not be either.

I have 6 more days until the walking boot comes off. I know I will want to try and run immediately but my PT says he will put me on a walking protocol first and graduate to running. This will be tough, but no one wants this to work more than I, so I will follow the protocol. He said cycling would probably be OK also.

Hopefully the epidural shot I received last Monday in my sacroiliac joint will be a more complete and long-term solution to my heel and leg problems. Within 3 days of the shot I noticed a significant relief in my left hip and leg, allowing me to increase my flexibility by almost six inches in several stretches including touching my toes from a standing stiff leg bend and even down to the second finger joints being bent. Another stretch that I had been doing was from a seated position bringing my left foot up and crossing it over my right knee while bending forward at the waist. This stretch would often elicit a slight shock like sensation from my hamstrings to my heel. Not only has this disappeared, but I can now lean forward touching my head to my left leg at the knee, whereas before my head was about 6 inches away. In two days I see the pain doctor and he will hopefully prescribe at least one or more future injections to completely calm the hip and leg soreness from the nerve problem. The relief I have gotten is significant enough to verify that the main problem is a nerve inflammation

My plan for the future is to start training for another marathon as soon as possible whether or not my heel is completely better. The reason for this is that the next course of action, if it is not better, would be surgery and I do not want to be out any longer than I have to being off my feet. I would rather go into surgery from a state of maximum conditioning than to go in already having lost 10 weeks or more.

So, I have my sights set on training for the Tucson Marathon in December. I may also do a trail Ragnar in the meantime. Pray for my heel to be completely healed within the next two weeks!

Looking forward to training again very soon!

ON a lighter note, I am hoping to score an interview with The Jester, AKA Ed Ettinghausen. He is a rather prolific ultra marathoner who has just completed his 3rd Badwater 135 mile ultra marathon, from Death Valley to the Mt. Whitney portals. This race is considered by most to be the hardest foot race in the world with temperatures reaching near 130 degrees and upwards of 150 degrees and more at road level. Make sure to check back soon!

Happy Trails,

Russ


2 comments:

  1. I've found the patience to wait our an injury is as much a challenge as any race.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is! Thanks for your reply! BTW I love your blog. You write very well and picturesque!

      Delete

I would love to hear what you think! If you liked this post please let me know by posting a comment!