Thursday, May 23, 2013

Solo vs. Partner or Group Running


 

Solo vs. Partner or Group Running

Runners are a varied and individual group as a whole. We all have little individual quirks, likes and dislikes; even styles and personalities, yet we are all tied together as a community because we enjoy and even love running. Some run short distances, some long, some mostly trails and some exclusively street, but we are all runners. Some like to mostly run alone, while others like to run with a partner or a group. I want to look at the contrasts between those who mostly like to run solo and those who mostly like to run with a partner or a group.

I’m mostly a solo runner and yet I still enjoy running with a partner or a group. I guess it may be I am not much of a talker in social situations. I am probably a pretty boring running partner overall as I don’t contribute a lot to conversation while running. In a way that is kind of funny because when I run alone I kind of carry on a constant dialog with myself, not out loud of course as I wouldn’t want to scare anyone. It is more of a running thought process where I gather my thoughts about things going on in my life, my dreams, aspirations and goals. I guess you could say that I entertain myself with my own thoughts while I run. If it is not a hard run I try and enjoy the surroundings and general atmosphere in the area I am running.

On the other hand I do have friends that really enjoy running with a partner or a group and both of these have their own individual dynamics. It is funny to me sometimes to run with a group and hear two maybe three conversations going on at the same time. I find myself switching back and forth trying to hear each conversation before I finally settle in on one conversation. I do try and join in on the conversation from time to time but it is often only after being asked a question.

One of the great things about running with a partner or group is that it is much easier to get in that run where you just aren’t feeling it or where you aren’t sure if you can go the distance you had planned, but then the group sucks you in and encourages you, giving you the motivation and strength to accomplish what you otherwise might not have on your own. Often this is not even spoken it just happens by being part of the group. One draws energy from the group as a whole. Also if someone is struggling a little bit often someone else in the group will drop back to stay along side them giving encouragement and making sure they don’t feel alone or left out! Group running is a very dynamic way to make sure that you accomplish your set goals. It is probably the best kind of running for new runners, as they are the ones who need the group dynamic most.

I have one friend that pretty much won’t run unless he has someone to run with. Living in an apartment he doesn’t have a dog to run with so he always tries to arrange a run with a friend or group of friends. If I get a call from him wanting to know if I can run with him I figure I must be his last choice because I am not the worlds greatest conversationalist when I am running. I usually try to oblige him, as I know he does not enjoy running alone. He does call me to see if I want to run with him and a few others from time to time also so I guess I’m not really a last resort!

Running partners may or may not be that close in their personal lives. Often they simply share the pleasure of running with someone and both run at or near the same pace. They may have met in a group or even at a race or some other event where running came up in the conversation. They may find that they have similar interests and live near each other with similar schedules so it just works out. I have a running partner that I run with once a week because I started a local fitness group for just six weeks and she showed up. She does not have a running partner all the time and doesn’t feel safe running alone. So I have been running with her on Wednesday mornings. Her sister has joined us a few times also. We have no other connection outside of running other than we attend the same Church, which the fitness group was started from.

By the way a running partner does not have to be a humanoid. Dogs can make great running partners. I have several friends who run with their dogs. Be aware that certain breeds are better than others especially for long distance running or warmer weather. Generally dogs with shorter snouts do not do as well at distance or warmth. Medium sized dogs tend to be the best. There are some good articles online about running with canine friends and even how to choose a dog for a running companion. See this article; “A Best Friend, Yes.Best Runner, Maybe Not!” .

On the other hand as a mostly solo runner I often enjoy the solitude. While it is not really recommended I especially enjoy this on trail runs. There is something about the quietness of being away from the streets and noises of the city and just hearing the sounds of nature. I love hearing what I call natures concert! It is a combination of sounds from birds singing their songs to even hearing the rustle of a snake sliding through the grass along side the trail. When alone on a trail run I always see more wild animals than I do when running with one or more other people. Sure it is fun to be able to share the enjoyment of seeing that deer, raccoon or coyote with someone else, but it is really nice to see more of them because they are not scared off by hearing our conversation before we happen into their vicinity. I try not to do a lot solo runs on trails where the there is a chance no one else will be coming along, at least sometime that day, however I have done it and probably will do it again. I always let someone know where I will be running and what time frame to expect me to return. The same goes for solo hiking or backpacking. Always let someone know the general details of where you are going and when you plan to return.

So what seems to be the main personality difference between those who enjoy solo running more and those who enjoy the camaraderie of the partner or group? Generally I have observed that those who are more gregarious in there normal everyday lives tend to be the same when it comes to running and those who are not as gregarious seem to like running solo better. I say generally because there are exceptions. I enjoy both but I do a lot more solo than group or partner running. However, I do actually organize group outings from time to time! Imagine that!

So what do you like better, Solo, partner or group? If you have comments please leave them as I would like to hear from you! If you find it difficult to leave a comment on the actual blog go to my Runner’s Mania facebook fan page. https://www.facebook.com/RunnersManiaFanPage?fref=ts .

Happy Trails,

Russ




No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you think! If you liked this post please let me know by posting a comment!